Monday, November 7, 2011

Tacit Knowledge
This past weekend I was at my first workshop and it was awesome. Wyatt Legrand was at Waycross and I was there. The workshop was in oil but the painting at top is a pastel. I think I learned a lot but it is hard to put in words hence the title. The workshop wasn't structured as a formal course normally is. It was at your own pace and was tailored towards the individuals. This fit me great and worked out very well. It is hard for me to put into words what I learned but if I was to try I would talk about colors, confidence and quickness. The confidence thing was mainly directed at painting larger and quicker. For anyone wanting to take an oil workshop in Indiana I would say jump at a Wyatt LeGrand workshop for all the reasons I stated above and watch him paint. It doesn't matter who the person is, if you watch them paint you are going to learn something. Hand movement is a big thing to watch when you are there at a demo. I'm not sure what other people are looking at or listening to but always watch the instructors hands. 

Anyway the painting above is what I did in 20 minutes tonight. This is the first time I have picked up pastel in two weeks. It felt good getting things going with the medium. After spending time away from pastel it makes me see it in a slightly different light.

No comments:

Post a Comment