Thursday, September 22, 2011

Examples of yesterdays post
 Yesterday I posted my process for creating a value scale under painting. The one yesterday didn't turn out as well as I would like so here is another example. This is of a still life that I completed today. The under painting is done with a dark purple hard pastel and then pushed around with turpentine. The values created with this under painting are very close to the final values in the painting. The most noticeable exception being the background. Since the primary objects are the primary colors I subdued the background and cloth with grayed secondary colors. In the under painting the background has dark and light stripes but as I was working I realized the vertical stripes needed to have less contrast because it drew attention up and away from the primary objects. With the under painting the amount of solvent used was more conservative than the one from yesterday. Also if you look back from a few days I did the color studies for this. The color studies looked good but the background had to  be changed as mentioned above. This is a small 6x9 painting and there will be a larger one following. This painting gave me a good grip on the changes that need to occur for the larger one to be a success. Practice and studying the process, if all goes well, will lead to better understanding of the subject and better paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment