Thursday, August 18, 2011

Painting Skies
Today I went with another landscape element that is one of the most if not the most important part of a painting, the sky. This particular study was practicing a sunset. I like the wispy clouds and how they are darker than the sky. Typically when I do skies the clouds are the lightest things on the paper. Usually they are negative shapes while the sky is a positive shape but these are backwards. After doing the studies I realized that I should have added some rocks but that was after the fact. Also these sky studies are only 5x7 so it is hard to really get rocks and sky into the same painting unless the rocks are huge boulders or rock faces. Which could have been easily the case if I had thought it out ahead of time. Tomorrow I will practice a new landscape element and try and do a larger study piece at the end that combines rocks, a sky, and the new element.

No comments:

Post a Comment