Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Back from an extended break
Today is the first post in eight days and it feels much longer. I've been busy since my last post and would like to share with you my recent news and happenings. I've got bad, good and great news. I will start off with the bad since its the shortest. August 5th and 6th was the paint out at the Indiana Dunes and I made the drive up there. It was a good experience but as far as painting is concerned, I haven't had such a dry streak in a long time. Nothing was clicking, it all just fell to pieces shortly after beginning. The only thing that kept me from hurling all my art supplies into the lake and marshes was the possible fines. It was extremeley frustrating seeing so many good artist produce amazing work and to just not have anything to show for two days worth of painting. But the good news about the trip is I met a lot of artist that I hadn't been aquainted with, and got a lot of great information from people that I admire their work. 
After that trip was over I headed down to southern Indiana to my parents farm and decided I couldn't end the week on a bad note. I set out to paint on Sunday morning. After finding a spot in Ripley county on the grinsted farm I got to work.The two paintings from sunday morning turned out far better than I was expecting after the abysmal showing at the dunes. One thing I've been pounding into my brain is value scale and relative value among a shape. These two paintings nailed it and are final paintings. The rest of the time I was at my parents I produced 4 more paintings. One of the three is completely done and the other 3 are in need of some attention but will end up being good paintings as well. That is the good news.
The Great news comes from the Indiana State Fair. I entered four paintings into the non-professional show. All four of the paintings made it into the show and three of the paintings are ribbon winners. I took first place in pastels with the painting from the Richmond paint out. In watercolor I took 5th place and got an honorable mention. The painting I like best turned out to be the only goose egg. It is strange how that happens, but regardless I was excited. And that is the great news
Anyway Im back home and back to painting so I will see you tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment