Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Oil Class
Recently I started taking an oil class at the Indianapolis Art Center. (http://indplsartcenter.org/) This is my first real experience with oil outside of my two winging it experiments. I have to say that Oil is actually a lot of fun and much easier than I've heard some make it out to be. Granted this painting isn't finished or great but I definitely got a feel for the medium. The local colors and the mid-light and light values need to be placed in. This photo is not near as dark as painting is in life. I think it will start to come together with some lightening up and highlights. The teacher is Pam Newell. (http://www.pnewellart.com/index.html) She works in pastels and oils. I'm a big fan of her pastels and first noticed them last summer when taking a watercolor course at the center. Now she is teaching me oils and it looks to be a good learning experience.

Anyway I would say if you enjoy pastels and haven't tried oil painting, you might like it. It seems like something that you could easily get lost in and spend way to much time doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment