Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pulling ahead
Today I worked on a scene from a recent trip to the smokey mountains. I was wondering what it would look like in the fall so I decided to go with autumn colors. After drawing a few thumbnails and value studies I drew it out on watercolor paper.
On a side note, borders is going out of business so I went in to look at the art section. Sterling Edwards has a book that I have been wanting to get for a while and they have it. I haven't bought it yet but I did have a few minutes to thumb through it. I'm a fan of his work and he is an advocate of using stiff bristle brushes for watercolors so I decided to go in that direction with this painting. The sky and top mountain tops were laid in using a 1" gesso brush which turned out very well. The third mountain top is too dark, but I could always darken up the closest trees to offset that. I liked how the grass in the foreground turned out along with the small minivan-suv and semi. The truck out in front was another story. The brush got away from me while I was putting in the darks and again when I was laying down the paint for the trees behind it. Anyway I'm going to go pick up that book as soon as the sale gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment