Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Looming Clouds
If you notice that my paintings contain a lot of power lines, cars, and fields you would have a good idea of what I see on a regular basis. Those three things are everywhere around me and I want to be able to portray them correctly. Each time I paint them they seem to get easier to represent. Whether they look better or not is another story. One of the things I'm working on is to go with my instinct and to be decisive in my paintings. For a while I was having a hard time deciding if what I was doing was going to look good, and more likely than not it doesn't matter because my technical skills are lacking.
I'm happy with how the horizon turned out on this painting. It seems to really be pushed back there. Everything up to the red barn looks like it falls in place. The grass along the road as it leads up to the foreground could have gotten larger, been represented better and the field a warmer yellow. One mistake I seem to make more than I should is under estimating how much paint is needed to fill in a shape. The road is a perfect example. The center of the road between the two yellow lines is darker than the left and right sides. I started with a color already mixed and ran out after I got up to the next hill in the road. When I started to mix the color for the left and right, the color in the middle had already began to dry. When watercolor dries the color lightens up. That is why you have to make colors darker than you think you need. When I laid down the sides of the road they were the same color as the center but seeing as the center was already drying the sides turned out even lighter.
Anyway it was a good learning experience. It will turn out better in pastels.

No comments:

Post a Comment