Monday, March 26, 2012

Practice on the little stuff
Even with the good weather I've still been working a lot on still life. Part of the reason is to build up enough work to show together, and the other is working from life on this scale is good practice for me to do large outdoor work. The little geisha doll painting above was done back in February. It has been sitting in the room that we did still life in at the pump house for as long as I can remember. It always caught my eye but seemed too complex and small for me to tackle. After looking at it so many times I finally decided to paint it by breaking it down into small shapes. Once this painting was done I started challenging myself to paint more complex items. So far it seems to be helping with my plein air work. It is getting easier for me to see the abstract shapes instead of the preconceived idea of an object. A problem I have outdoors is bringing form to objects as they recede. The more I'm thinking about it, color and temperature change seem to be what is stopping the objects from being modeled in my outdoor landscapes. Now I continue to practice on still life and apply it to my other work.

No comments:

Post a Comment